How to Tie a Wrap Dress: Easy Steps and Styling Ideas
By definition, a wrap dress is a type of dress that wraps around the body and ties at the waist. It also has a v-neckline.
The style was popularized by designer Diane von Furstenberg in the 1970s and continues to be a timeless choice for fashionable women of all ages. Whether you opt for a silk design or cotton with a floral print, wrap dresses are a versatile and stylish option.
In this article, we will guide you through easy steps on how to tie a wrap dress. We have selected designer wrap dresses to develop looks for each one. Afterward, we will review our choices in detail.
Ultimate guide: How to tie a wrap dress
Step 1: Put on the dress as a robe.
Step 2: A wrap dress has two attached strings – usually a longer one on the left side and a shorter one on the right.
Step 3: Find the tiny opening on the side of your wrap dress, commonly found on the right side near the midsection.
Step 4: Pass the longer string on the left through the hole on the right.
Step 5: Wrap the right panel of the dress, covering the front and the left panel, forming a v-neckline.
Step 6: Tie the strings together into a firm bow on the side or the back of the wrap dress.
Step 7: Secure your v-neckline with safety pins, snaps, or hooks.
How do you secure a wrap dress neckline?
Step 1: Wear well-fitting underwear. As an alternative, you can choose a slim-fitting bodysuit.
Step 2: Make sure the attached strings are properly adjusted and are not too loose or too tight. Wrap the right panel of the dress more to the left to create a smaller and higher v-neck.
Step 3: Create a secure fit for your v-neckline with safety pins, snaps, or hooks. You can also secure it with an accessory like a scarf.
How to style a wrap dress?
Casual white wrap dress with a cardigan
In this example, we combined a white wrap dress with a gray cardigan and a tote bag. To complete the ensemble, add emerald green or ruby red accessories, like a silk scarf or piece of jewelry to echo the stripe colors of the tote bag.
- Tom Ford: White Silk-Jersey Midi Wrap Dress
- Allude: Ribbed Gray Cashmere Cardigan
- Gucci: Ophidia Leather-Trimmed Printed Coated-Canvas Beige Tote
Floral wrap dress for a summer day
This ensemble is composed of a white base with leather accents on the tote bag and leather slides. The wide belt of this wrap dress secures the V-neck and the puffed long sleeves give volume to the outfit.
- Zimmermann: Vitali Floral-Print Linen Wrap Dress
- Loewe: Paula’s Ibiza Small leather-trimmed Woven Raffia Tote
- Saint Laurent: Tribute Woven White Leather Slides
Orange wrap dress
We combined the brightly colored summer dress with a white base – a cardigan and slides. A light jacket could be an alternative. For visual interest, try color-blocking with a green bag.
Please note that this dress has a rarer option – the strings are tied on the right side.
- Camilla: Embellished Floral-Print Orange Silk Crepe de Chine Midi Wrap Dress
- &Daughter: Aran Cable-Knit Cream Wool Cardigan
- Staud: Nevil Asymmetric Cream Leather Slides (Similar)
Orange, green, and pink wrap dress
Brightly colored dresses can be more difficult to style with the rest of your clothes and accessories. We created a beige base and repeated the emerald green motif in the earrings.
The ribbon is artfully tied slightly off-center to the left; however, centering it would be just as elegant. Additionally, we also liked the secure v-neck that is quite high, the neck scarf in the back, and the puffed sleeves.
- Johanna Ortiz: Mist and Mountains Printed Satin-Jacquard Orange Wrap Dress
- Suzanne Kalan: 18-Karat Gold Emerald and Diamond Earrings
- Bottega Veneta: Intrecciato Beige Raffia Mules
Bright green wrap dress with a bucket hat
This is a great example of how a wrap dress would look great on the beach. The basic and at the same time contrasting color is a black – bucket hat and leather mules.
We suggest adding a touch of red with some accessories such as earrings, a bracelet, or a ring.
- Johanna Ortiz: Gulf of Guinea Printed Green Satin Jacquard Maxi Wrap Dress
- Gigi Burris: Ida Straw and Wool-Chenille Black Bucket Hat
- Saint Laurent: Tribute Woven Black Leather Mules
Mini wrap dress and a denim jacket
We matched the bright pink wrap dress with a straight-cut denim jacket and Alexander McQueen sneakers. Opt for a jacket that is not too long and with a straight cut, rather than tailored to create visual volume.
For a more formal look, opt for a blazer and heels.
- Diane von Furstenberg: Gala Belted Printed Silk Purple Mini Wrap Dress
- Loewe: Appliquéd Light Blue Denim Jacket
- Alexander McQueen: Glittered White Leather Exaggerated-Sole Sneakers
An iconic wrap dress by Diane von Furstenberg
This wrap dress is a great classic example. We paired it with a black blazer and leather mules. This ensemble is suitable for any event.
This wrap dress is composed of cold colors such as green, blue, and black at the base. To create visual interest, add a red accessory like a handbag or a silk scarf. If you want to create a more formal ensemble, choose a brown handbag and pumps.
- Diane von Furstenberg: Carla Asymmetric Floral Print Green Crepe Wrap Dress
- Cefinn: Jules Twill-Trimmed Black Cotton-Velvet Blazer
- Saint Laurent: Tribute Woven Black Leather Mules
Wrap dress for a special occasion
The last ensemble illustrates how to create an outfit with a wrap dress for a special occasion. Please note that the closure of this wrap dress does not have strings, but rather a hook on the side.
We added a green tsavorite ring with gold and golden pumps for visual playfulness.
- Ganni: Bead-Embellished Cloqué Black Midi Wrap Dress
- State Property: Drew 18-Karat Gold Tsavorite Ring
- Christian Louboutin: So Kate 120 mm Lizard-Effect Gold Leather Pumps
In this article, we learned how to tie a wrap dress in 7 easy steps. We have also provided instructions on how to secure a wrap dress neckline.
Knowing how to properly tie wrap dresses is essential, but it is just as important to style them. We provided different examples of how to style a wrap dress for various occasions. You can easily create an additional layer with cardigans, jackets, and blazers and accessorize with handbags, scarves, and jewelry to create an overall aesthetic.
Combine brightly colored dresses with basic colors like white, black, or beige, and think about contrasting colors. For shoes, you will have lots of options, from sneakers to sandals and mules.
Remember, a wrap dress is versatile and can be worn for any occasion. With the right styling techniques, you can create a unique look that is appropriate for any setting.
Featured image by Maria Orlova.