How to Create a Winter Capsule Wardrobe: The Complete Guide
When winter rolls around, it’s time to break out the heavy sweaters, coats, and boots. But it can also be a great time to overhaul your wardrobe with a winter capsule wardrobe!
In this article, we will discuss what a winter capsule wardrobe is and how to create one for yourself. We’ll also provide some tips on styling your winter capsule wardrobe. So whether you’re looking to save money or just want to simplify your life, read on for our ultimate guide on creating a winter capsule wardrobe!
Here you can read how to create a summer capsule wardrobe.
What is a capsule wardrobe?
A winter capsule wardrobe is a collection of essential winter clothing that can be used to create multiple outfits with minimal pieces. It has fewer items than a typical winter wardrobe, but still provides plenty of options for winter styling.
Creating a winter capsule wardrobe can help save money and time by reducing the number of winter purchases made each year. As winter items can often be expensive, a winter capsule wardrobe helps to ensure that only the best quality winter pieces are purchased and worn multiple times.
How to choose colors for a winter capsule wardrobe?
You should primarily stick to base colors in your wardrobe so that you can mix and match different items easily. Meanwhile, save patterns and brighter colors for a select few staple pieces.
The first task is to choose colors that are basic and neutral:
- The colors you choose play a role in bringing out your natural beauty. Try adding different colors to see what works best for you.
- The colors you choose for your wardrobe should also take the season into account. Lighter, fresher colors are more appropriate for summertime, whereas deeper hues are better suited for winter. You can find inspiration by looking to nature – the colors will change with the seasons, so you can experiment with a fairly wide range of hues.
- Some colors just come and go with the trends. We don’t focus as much on these because they can be easily replicated in small staple items.
This article is dedicated to creating the perfect winter capsule wardrobe. We will be discussing colors that are most popular and appropriate for the colder season – browns, blacks, whites, burgundies, blues, and greens.
Here are some tips on how to put together a stylish outfit:
- Stick to one or two base colors.
- The other hues should either complement each other or all be different shades of the same color.
- In total, no more than three colors should be present in your ensemble. For example, if you have two neutrals as a base, then choose one additional color pop hue. Alternatively, pair one neutral with a 2-color combination.
How to choose fabrics for a winter capsule wardrobe?
Fabric choices are essential when creating a winter capsule wardrobe. You want to be sure that your winter items will keep you warm, but also provide enough breathability to ensure you don’t overheat.
For cold weather, clothes made of natural fabrics like wool and cashmere will keep you warmest. But don’t limit yourself to just those options – leather, faux fur, and corduroy are all great winter materials too.
Not to mention, if you wear thermal clothing underneath your clothes, no one will be able to see them and you’ll stay extra warm.
What knitwear to choose for a winter capsule wardrobe?
A winter capsule wardrobe would not be complete without a turtleneck sweater. One of the best fabrics to keep you warm is cashmere, and you can select from many colors.
- Vince: Wool and Cashmere-Blend Baby Pink Turtleneck Sweater
- Joseph: Cashair Cashmere Dark Green Turtleneck Sweater
- Patou: Ribbed Wool Peach Turtleneck Sweater
- Vince: RIbbed Wool and Cashmere-Blend Beige Turtleneck Sweater
Sweaters are also an essential part of your winter wardrobe. In the below example, there are several types of sweaters available, some with patterns and some without. You can choose from a variety of styles, including those with larger necks or no neck at all.
- Lisa Yang: Sony Cashmere Cream Sweater
- The Row: Ophelia Oversized Wool and Cashmere-Blend Gray Sweater
- LVIR: Cable-Knit RIbbed Merino Wool Camel Sweater
- Citizens of Humanity: Zola Cable-Knit Cashmere Ivory Turtleneck Sweater
Cardigans are also a timeless classic in your wardrobe. They are versatile and can be worn with various trousers, and skirts, as well as with a dress. Again, in the example, we distinguished between patterned and non-patterned cardigans. Also, note the different button designs.
- Dôen: Rive Cable-Knit Alpaca-Blend Yellow Cardigan
- Alessandra Rich: Embellished Embroidered Pointelle-Knit Alpaca-Blend Off-White Cardigan
- &Daughter: RIbbed Camel Wool Cardigan
- Allude: Wool and Cashmere-Blend Gray Cardigan
In this example, we chose sweaters with a V-neck. These sweaters are perfect for casual wear.
- Khaite: Kleo Stretch-Knit Ivory Sweater
- Khaite: Hans Ribbed-Cashmere Dark Green Polo Sweater
- Khaite: Winston Hooded Cashmere-Blend Camel Cardigan
- Theory: Cable-Knit Cashmere Beige Polo Sweater
Vests are a current fashion trend that can be dressed up or down. This example showcases four different types of vests. The zip-up vest is great for everyday wear, while the two V-neck knit vests – one cropped with cable knit and the other with buttons. A wool vest will add a touch of uniqueness and edginess to your look.
The vests look great with a white shirt.
- We Norwegians: Alta Hooder Merino Wool-Blend Camel Vest
- Rag & Bone: Elizabeth Cropped Cable-Knit Wool, Cotton, and Alpaca-Blend Tan Vest
- Mr. Mittens: Veda Ribbed Wool Cream Vest
- Giuliva Heritage: Lucia Checked Green Wool Vest
What pants, skirts, and dresses to choose for a winter capsule wardrobe?
High-waisted wide-leg pleated trousers are versatile and can be worn with many different types of shirts and sweaters. They also look great with vests or blazers on top. They look elegant and visually lengthen your legs.
Trousers made of wool will keep you warm during the winter season, but if you’re mostly indoors, they might make you too warm.
This type of pants is suitable both for going out on the town and for the work environment.
- Officine Générale: New Sophie Pleated Wool Wide-Leg Gray Pants
- Acne Studios: Pinstriped Woven Wide-Leg Blue Pants
- Lafayette 148: Gates Wool-Blend Wide-Leg Beige Pants
- The Row: Pipa Wool and Silk-Blend Wide-Leg Camel Pants
These trousers are not only versatile but also classic and timeless. They also can be worn in the city or at work.
We would also like to highlight flared pants, which will add style and playfulness to your outfit.
- Gucci: Pleated Wool-Jacquard Dark Gray Pants
- Theory: Pleated Wool Straight-Leg Red Pants
- Bottega Veneta: Wool Straight-Leg Dark Blue Pants
- Saint Laurent: Pleated Wool Brown Flared Pants
One of the fabric alternatives for the pants seen above is leather. In the example, you can see what different cuts and colors of leather pants can be, so wearing them is also very versatile – you will create different leather pants outfits for both official and everyday looks.
- Chloé: Brown Leather Straight-Leg Pants
- Loro Piana: Blue Leather Straight-Leg Pants
- Balmain: Button-Embellished Black Leather Leggings
- LVIR: Faux Textured-Leather Wide-Leg Black Pants
Skirts are a classic winter wardrobe staple – they look great with sweaters or even turtlenecks.
High-waist midi skirts look chic with knee boots, while pencil skirts look great with pointed-toe pumps. Choose winter skirts that are made of wool, leather, or even velvet to keep you warm during wintertime.
- Cefinn: Tiana Burgundy Leather Midi Skirt
- Stella McCartney: Lauren Ecru Leather Midi Skirt
- 3.1 Phillip Lim: Asymmetric Pleated Faux Leather Beige Midi Skirt
- Chloé: Black Leather Midi Skirt
Dresses come in all shapes and sizes – they can be fitted, loose-fitting, long, or short. Choose dresses made of winter fabrics like wool and cashmere.
- Stella McCartney: Asymmetric Ribbed Organic Cotton Cream Turtleneck Dress
- By Malene Birger: Favine Knitted Tan Midi Dress
- Loro Piana: Asymmetric Ribbed Cashmere Beige Midi Skirt
- Vince: Ribbed Wool and Yak-Blend Green Midi Skirt
What blazers and outwear pieces to choose for a winter capsule wardrobe?
Blazers are another winter wardrobe staple that can be used to dress up any outfit. There are a variety of colors and patterns to choose from, so you can easily find one that suits your winter capsule wardrobe look.
- Gucci: Double-Breasted Wool-Jacquard Dark Gray Blazer
- Proenza Schouler: Wool-Blend Gray Blazer
- Gucci: Love Parade Checked Linen-Blend Navy Blazer
- Toteme: Double-Breasted Ivory Sateen Blazer
An extended wool vest or faux leather jacket will provide comfortable warmth and coziness while driving a car. In recent years, there are also very fashionable and versatile warming gilets.
- Max Mara: Pallida Double-Breasted Wool-Blend Ivory Vest
- Michael Michael Kors: Belted Wool-Blend Beige Vest
- A.L.C.: Sutton Paneled Faux Shearling Beige Gilet
- Vince: Faux Fur-Trimmed Paneled Brown Leather Jacket
A winter coat is a timeless piece that can be used for years to come. If you’re just starting to build your capsule wardrobe, make sure to invest in a quality wool coat with a lining. The length of the coat is also important – shorter coats are great for driving, while longer ones are perfect for walks in the city. They not only provide warmth but also look elegant and luxurious. When choosing your first coat, go for an elegant classic like a belted or button-up style.
- Vince: Belted Wool-Felt Burgundy Coat
- Michael Michael Kors: Belted Wool-Blend Green Felt Coat
- Officine Générale: Amber Wool Coat
- Brioni: Belted Brushed-Cashmere Dark Brown Coat
How to choose accessories for a winter capsule wardrobe?
If you want to purchase a handbag that will never go out of style, stick to classic colors with few embellishments. The first bag should ideally be made from smooth leather, but keep in mind that this material is more prone to scratches.
In addition, make sure the purse is an appropriate size for your needs, and choose a strap length that corresponds with how you plan on carrying it (e.g., over the shoulder or by hand).
- Saint Laurent: Manhattan Small Croc-Effect Patent-Leather Black Shoulder Bag
- Saint Laurent: Manhattan Off-White Leather Shoulder Bag
- The Row: Clea Brown Leather Shoulder Bag
- Saint Laurent: Le 5 à 7 Gray Leather Shoulder Bag
Stylish women know that a quality belt is worth the investment. Not only does it add visual interest when styled with blazers and coats, but it can also accentuate your waistline.
- Saint Laurent: Monogramme Textured-Leather Black Belt
- Toteme: Tan Leather Belt
- Saint Laurent: Monogramme Beige Leather Belt
- Bottega Veneta: Grasp Textured-Leather Black Belt
Integrating fedoras and leather gloves into your winter style will help you stand out from the rest. The longer type of gloves looks great with coats that have three-quarter-length sleeves.
- Gigi Burris: Velvet-Trimmed Wool-Blend Black Felt Fedora
- Gigi Burris: Jeanne Sateen-Trimmed Wool-Blend Light Brown Felt Fedora
- Cornelia James: Aurelia Touchscreen Black Leather Glove
- Cornelia James: Clémence Cognac Leather Glove
How to choose shoes for a winter capsule wardrobe?
Choose winter shoes that are both fashionable and comfortable. Ankle boots are a winter favorite – they look great with trousers. If you want something more dressy, choose knee-high boots for an elegant winter look.
To keep your feet warm and dry, choose winter boots made of leather. To further warmth, choose winter boots with fur trim or those that have been insulated.
- Brunello Cucinelli: Black Leather Knee Boots
- Aeyde: Viv Neutral Leather Knee Boots
- Bottega Veneta: Veneta White Leather Knee Boots
- Gabriela Hearst: Bocca Tan Leather Knee Boots
- By Far: Este Off-White Leather Ankle Boots
- By Far: Sofia Neutral Leather Ankle Boots
- Isabel Marant: Castay Black Leather Chelsea Boots
- 3.1 Phillip Lim: Kate Cream Leather Chelsea Combat Boots
This article is your ultimate guide to creating the perfect winter capsule wardrobe – from selecting winter fabrics and garments to choosing the right accessories. With carefully chosen winter staples, you will be able to create a winter capsule wardrobe that is both stylish and practical. Invest in timeless winter pieces that can be worn for years to come – this way, you’ll get maximum
The winter season may be cold, but with the right winter wardrobe, you’ll be sure to look your best and keep warm all winter long!
Featured image by Hatice Noğman.